Monday, August 18, 2008

Friendship

"A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
Proverbs 18:24

You can't make old friends. The truth of those words came to me as I spent time this weekend with one of my best and oldest friends. He and his family came out to Toledo to spend some time with me and mine. It was like a long drink from a familiar and refreshing stream. I felt so blessed by his friendship and the gift of time with him and his family.

In our transient times, it is very difficult to make friendships and old friendships are even more precious and rare. Why? There are a lot of reasons, but consider this. In the 1800's, the average person never traveled more than a 100 miles from their home in their entire lives. Even through the 1950's, 60's, and 70's most people remained in their hometowns to raise their families. Friendships were often maintained over decades and old friends might be those you have had for your entire life. How things have changed. Schools, jobs, and more cause us to move from place to place. Couple that with the relative ease of travel and we create a society in which one is almost reluctant to invest the time and effort to build lasting friendships. Consequently, many people find themselves lonely and hungering for the depth of honesty, commitment, and familiarity that only comes with an old friend. That's why I cherished this weekend so much.

Friendship is one of the great, priceless privileges of life. That's why I am so floored by something Jesus once said. Check it out:

"You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other." John 15

Jesus says he wants friendship with us. The Savior of the world, the very Son of God, desires to be your friend; and get this. More than anyone else, he will be a friend that sticks closer than a brother. He is a friend unfettered by time or distance or circumstance. With him you can experience unparalleled honesty and commitment. Moreover, there is no one who knows you better. So what must we do to have this friendship? What uncompromising command must we obey? Be a friend to others. That's it. That's what Jesus says. That's what Jesus asks of us in order for him to be our friend. Be a friend to others. Love each other. All he asks us to do is the very thing we so hunger in our lives. Create relationships of love that will last. What an amazing and precious thing friendship is? Yet, how even more friendship with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment