Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Time of Abiding

Patience, patience. Ah, it is something I so lack in my life. Yet, I know it is necessary for our spiritual growth. We, particularly Americans, want to do, do, do. Moreover, we want results. Now. But Jesus Christ teaches us that "being" is as important as "doing." So how do we learn to "be" disciples? We spend time abiding or remaining in him.

That's what Jesus tells his disciples in the Gospel according to John, the 15th chapter (I've pasted the relevant verses from John 15 at the end of this blog). Jesus says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." To understand what Jesus means we need to understand a little about vinedressing or, in other words, the maintenance and care of the plants within a vineyard. Pruning or cutting back the branches is an essential piece in producing tastier and more abundant fruit. Without pruning, the branch will weaken. Eventually, it will wither under the strain of its production and die.

However, when a branch is pruned back something significant happens. The vine protectively grows over the pruned branch encapsulating it within itself. Thus, the branch remains or abides in the vine. There it gains in strength and when it emerges it is stronger and able to bear more and better fruit.

The danger of "doing" all the time is to believe that we are capable of producing anything of value apart from Christ, our Vine. If you don't spend time with Him, we will never produce the fruit that God wants us to produce in our lives. We need to understand, as the apostle Paul often said, that our lives are in Christ. If they're not, then we are detached from the source of life and we will never realize the strength that is found in Him.

Still, how do we remain or abide in Him. Jesus also gives us the answer to this when he says "abide in my love." We need to let the love of Jesus Christ cover us. We need to receive and soak in the grace of God. Spend time with Jesus in prayer. Read his words. Listen to what he has to say to you. Sometimes, just rest in Him. Do nothing but invite him to join you and let His presence, His love refresh you. Jesus wants us to experience life in the Vine, life in Christ. Why? Well, listen to what he says: "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete."

Do you want to have a fruitful life, a life that is productive? Do you want the "doing" of your life to have meaning? Then first learn how to "be".

That is the lesson we are learning right now at "10:35. " The last year has really focused on what God is doing inside of us. We've focused on "being" disciples, rather than doing. We have definitely seen some pruning during this time. But, patience. The branch is growing strong and the fruit will come.


John 15

The Vine and the Branches
1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment